The rain is upon us
ARE YOU READY?
The rain is here again! We are all faced with the challenge of keeping the water outside of our structures. We need to be diligent with this, as water will migrate in through the smallest leaks in a building. These leaks can cause hundreds or thousands of dollars of damage and reduce the income to your business. The exterior envelope should have an annual inspection.
When inspecting the roof, look for broken or missing shingles or any damaged components. Check the flashing around any pipes or vents that come through the roof. The rain gutters need to be clear of debris, and if they are equipped with heated cables those also need to checked. Make all the repairs before the rain, snow and freezing weather strikes.
When inspecting the exterior walls of your building, look for any damage to the siding, deteriorated or missing caulking around the doors and windows, make all necessary repairs.
Preventative maintenance check list
• Door and window seals
• Rain gutters
• Rain gutter drains
• Flashing round chimneys
• Roof drains
• Clear yard debris
• Clean parking lot drains
• Clear all exterior drains •Foundation grading
• Leaking plumbing
• Missing insulation
• Clean the area around the sump pump
• Test the sump pump
• Check the foundation vents
• Make sure the vapor barrier is intact
• Check for pest
• Make sure the plumbing is properly insulated If you have any questions or need help in any of these areas, let me know and I will gladly be of assistance. As a FREE service, I would be happy to meet with you and your maintenance staff to discuss which areas to check, and the red flags that can alert you to issues before they affect your business.